Judgepedia:Assistant Staff Writer (2013)
Title: Assistant Staff Writer
Projects: Federal Courts Project and State Courts Project
Supervisor’s Title: Federal Courts Project Director or State Courts Project Director
Lucy Burns Institute
The Lucy Burns Institute (LBI) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin. LBI is an entrepreneurial, mission-driven organization that encourages innovation and provides substantial opportunity for professional and personal growth.
Judgepedia is a comprehensive, user-driven encyclopedia that acts as a neutral guidepost for information about our nation’s courts and judges. All positions with Judgepedia utilize a neutral point-of-view philosophy.
To enhance either the Federal or State Courts Projects on Judgepedia.
The Assistant Staff Writer is an hourly position on Judgepedia. This is a remote position. All Assistant Staff Writers are expected to maintain a regular schedule of hours during the week. Judgepedia is hiring employees to work ten to twenty hours per week.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Conduct online research on judges and state/federal judicial systems
- Various writing assignments (e.g. judge biographies, court system explanations, news articles, case summaries)
- Update various pages on the site using basic wiki code
- Help keep website up-to-date with regular maintenance and audits
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task, organize numerous moving parts of a project, and meet deadlines
- Strong self-motivation, as well as the ability to collaborate with others via a remote setting
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of platforms
- Ability to accurately and concisely add information to Judgepedia in a non-partisan, unbiased manner
This is a remote position. In order to join our staff, you must have access to a computer with regular, unwavering Internet access. Successful remote employees excel at certain skills. If you've never worked in a remote position, please consider this self-assessment before applying: http://www.westchestergov.com/hr/adobe/TeleworkerSelfAssessmentSurvey.pdf
Hourly wage is $10-$12 per hour, commensurate with experience. Part-time employees at Judgepedia are also eligible for bonuses based on performance.
To apply, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org in addition to:
- cover letter detailing your interest in this position, on which project you would prefer to work, and available hours to work weekly
- two professional references
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
LBI is only able to respond to candidates to whom we are able to offer an interview. No phone calls, please. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your interest in our organization.